Life requires course corrections from time to time. Over the years I’ve made some wrong turns and ended up off course–sometimes way off course. Captains know that a few degrees of error can cause a ship to miss its destination by hundreds or thousands of miles. Not correcting our course along the way can cause us to miss our target and end up somewhere other than we intended.
The good news is that we all have the power to make course corrections anytime! It’s never too late, no matter how off course we find ourselves. We all have the power to change direction and set our sails for a different destination.
I’ve learned that it’s easier to make small course corrections along the way instead of big ones. Remember how difficult it was for the Titanic to drastically change course and avoid the iceberg at the last-minute? If the crew had seen the iceberg sooner, they would have had time to successfully navigate past the treacherous obstacle through a series of smaller course corrections.
As a result, I’ve decided that it’s time for another course correction in my life. This time it’s about my health. I’m finally ready to deal with those extra lbs that my doctor has been encouraging me to lose for years. As a result, my wife and I have signed up for Weight Watchers. This involves changing our daily eating habits while attending weekly support meetings. This combination of personal effort and group support really works. They even have eTools (online) that make it easier to identify and track daily food choices using a personal computer, tablet, or smart phone. Since I love technology, this approach is right up my alley.
I made this course correction on March 3rd. In the first two weeks, I’ve been able to lose 7.4 lbs. In this past week alone I was able to lose 3.8 lbs. With an average weight loss of about 2 lbs per week, I should reach my goal in about 6 or 7 months. Since time marches on regardless, I might as well lose the weight and enjoy the benefits along the way. For me there are significant benefits to weighing less. It’s been fun to focus on them.
Here are some of the benefits:
- More energy
- Lower cholesterol
- Lower blood pressure
- Better sleep
- More time (less time eating)
- More money (spending less on food). This more than pays for WW fees.
- Longer life span (I hope)
- Better mood
- More clothes choices
- Reminder that all things are possible–including losing weight
Having had some initial success, I’m very encouraged. I’m realizing that small course corrections can have significant consequences. I’m also realizing that any journey worth taking takes time.
So, make those course corrections and enjoy the scenery along the way–nothing to fear!
- March 24 – I’ve lost 10 lbs total as of today–so encouraged.
- March 30 – Gained 1.2 lbs this week (ouch)–total lost is now 8.8 lbs.
- April 7 – Lost 2.0 lbs this week–total lost is now 10.6 lbs.
- April 14- Lost 2.6 lbs this week–total lost is now 13.2 lbs.
- April 21- Gained 0.2 lbs this week–total lost holding at 13.0 lbs.
- April 28- Lost 1.4 lbs this week–total lost is now 14.4 lbs.
- May 5 – Lost 1.2 lbs this week–total lost is now 15.6 lbs.
- May 12 – Lost 1.6 lbs this week–total lost is now up to 17.2 lbs!
- May 19 – Lost 0.8 lbs this week–total lost is now 18.0 lbs!
- May 26 – Lost 0.8 lbs this week –total lost is now 18.8 lbs!
- June 2 – Gained 0.2 lbs this week–total l0st is now 18.6 lbs.
- June 9 -Lost 0.4 lbs this week –total lost is now 19.0 lbs.
- June 16 – Lost 1.2 lbs this week–total lost is now 20.2 lbs.
- June 23 -Lost 1.6 lbs this week–total lost is now 21.8 lbs.
- June 30- Gained 3.0 lbs this week–aargh!
- July 7 – Lost 4.6 lbs this week — total lost is now 23.4 lbs
- July 30 – Lost 5.8 lbs this week — total lost is now 30.8 lbs
- August 11 – Total lost is now at 32.0 lbs
- September 1 – Total lost is now at 34.2 lbs
- September 8 – Lost 0.2 lbs this week. Total lost now at 34.4 lbs
- September 15 – Lost 0.8 lbs this week. Total lost now at 35.2 lbs
- September 22- Lost 0.6 lbs this week. Total lost now at 35.8 lbs
- October 6 — Gained 2.4 lbs this past two weeks. Total lost now at 33.4 lbs. Time to step it up!
- October 20–Lost 0.4 lbs this past two weeks. Total lost now at 33.8 lbs.
- December 1 – Introducing daily exercise to get past this plateau
- January 12 — Total lost now at 35.6 lbs.
- March 31 – Total lost now at 42.4 lbs.
- August 6 – Total lost now at 40.4 lbs.