I went to a drive-in movie theatre on Friday night–yes, they still exist! This particular one was featured on Huell Howser’s California’s Gold show over a year ago (local PBS TV).
It has been open since the 1950’s but was completely restored a few years ago with a tiki theme and modern technology (projection and sound). The sound is broadcast via FM radio and it sounds great. In terms of the picture, It’s still a bit difficult to see all the details in darker scenes but that’s just part of the drive-in experience.
The name of the theatre is the Mission Tiki Drive-In. If you live close by, you should check it out. Apparently there are only 400 drive-in theatres remaining in the US today. In the 1950’s, there were over 4000 of them–amazing!
Here are a few of the things that I enjoy about the drive in:
- It’s fun to come early and have a picnic dinner before the movie starts.
- It’s fun to bring chairs and sit outside on a warm evening.
- It’s fun to visit the snack bar and eat popcorn in your car.
- It’s fun to see a double feature for $7.
- It’s fun to bring the whole family.
- It’s fun to sit in the car and be able to talk without disturbing anyone.
- It’s fun to snuggle up with someone you love!
Try googling “drive-in” and see if there is one near you. If you have to travel a bit, it’s worth it.